Health & Safety Protocols
for National Geographic Journeys
As we welcome back travellers to exploring the world with National Geographic Journeys, health and safety is a top priority. To promote the well-being of our travellers and staff, we’ve enhanced our health and safety protocols considering guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and other medical experts.
Given the continuously changing global health environment, our plans may evolve as we consider new guidance and recommendations from health agencies. We’ll update this website with any changes that might affect you. Please check back regularly.
Below is detailed information about these new protocols — including what will be required of you and what you can expect from us on your trip. Please review this web page before your departure.
Before Your Trip
Book with Confidence
G Adventures offers a flexible Book with Confidence policy that allows you to cancel and rebook closer to your departure date. Learn more.
Vaccination & Testing
In order to travel on a National Geographic Journeys or Family Journeys tour, you must meet the following requirements:
All travellers, Chief Experience Officers (CEOs) and drivers must be fully vaccinated with one of the following vaccines: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Janssen/Johnson and Johnson, or Astra Zeneca/Covishield. Travellers, CEOs and Drivers who are fully vaccinated with Novavax, Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV (VeroCell), Sinovac-CoronaVac, and Covavaxin (Bharat Biotech) can travel on these tours, but must also provide negative results from a COVID-19 PCR test (taken within 3 days of the first day of the tour) in order to join the group.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) defines fully vaccinated as 14 days after receiving:
- A single-dose of an accepted 1-dose vaccine
- The second dose of an accepted 2-dose vaccine
- The full series of an active (not placebo) COVID-19 vaccine in the US-based AstraZeneca or Novavax COVID-19 vaccine trials
- The second dose of any “mix and match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines provided the second dose of any “mix and match” combination is Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna or Astra Zeneca/COVIDShield (administered at least 17 days apart).
All travellers must complete the G Adventures Self-Screening COVID-19 form prior to joining the trip.
Masks are required for all travellers and staff, regardless of vaccination status, and must be worn on most aspects of the tour. Masks are not required when actively eating or drinking, participating in water activities, on a designated break, in one’s own hotel room, or when it poses a health or safety risk to the traveller (e.g. high-altitude activity). Physical distancing of 6 ft/2 m must be maintained when masks are not in use. Masks do not eliminate the requirements for physical distancing. Please note that designated breaks are identified by a group’s CEO, and should only take place when the group is outdoors and when travel parties are able to maintain physical distance from one another.
Guidance on Masks
Travellers must bring their own masks. If you do not have your own masks, your CEO will recommend where to purchase them. You will not be able to fully participate in the tour until you have a mask.
- It is recommended that you bring at least one surgical mask per day.
- It is recommended that you follow CDC guidelines on mask usage and types. Masks should be made with two or more layers of breathable fabric. Masks should completely cover your nose and mouth, and fit snugly against the sides of your face without gaps.
- Your CEO will review this information during the Welcome Meeting, where they’ll also highlight the importance of wearing masks.
- If travellers do not follow the above requirements for masks, they may be removed from the tour at their own expense, as outlined in the updated Travel Conduct Policy.
- Physical distancing between travel parties/households is not required unless mandated by local requirements.
- Your CEO will reinforce the importance of hand hygiene throughout the tour, especially before and after meals, prior to boarding a vehicle, and after touching any high-traffic or high-touch areas.
- All travellers and staff must wash their hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds, and/or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with a minimum of 60% alcohol for approximately 20 seconds.
- We recommend that all travellers bring with them hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol). CEOs will have a limited supply with them at all times.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Cleaning and disinfecting protocols have been enhanced throughout all aspects of the tour.
- All cleaning products meet the Environmental Protection Agency’s guidelines for use against coronaviruses, bacteria and other pathogens.
- Before joining any activity, all travellers will self-assess their physical condition and self-screen for symptoms of illness and COVID-19. Travellers are advised that if they are experiencing symptoms, however mild, or are part of a household where someone has symptoms, to seek medical assistance.
- Masks are required for activities.
- Well ventilated spaces are preferred for gatherings.
- All equipment for activities on tour, including hiking poles, camping supplies, life jackets, snorkels, etc., will be cleaned thoroughly at least once a day and disinfected between use.
- If an activity provider is not able to abide by these requirements, the activity will be removed from the itinerary and a suitable alternative may be provided.
- All private vehicles used on tours will undergo at least one daily deep cleaning, and high traffic/high touch areas will receive additional cleaning.
- Drivers will disinfect armrests, railings, handles, and seats every time the group exits the vehicle and prior to their return.
- Hand-sanitizer or hand-washing will be required every time a traveller boards the vehicle. CEOs will monitor and reinforce this.
- Doors and other common touchpoints should be used only when necessary by staff.
- Luggage should only be handled by the traveller, or the driver/staff when necessary.
- Transportation providers/suppliers will follow staff screening and self-monitoring protocols to detect COVID-19 symptoms. Staff with symptoms will not work and will be instructed to seek medical advice.
- Each traveller will have a daily assigned seat. In the event that the assigned seat needs to be changed, those surfaces will be deep cleaned.
- All travellers, drivers, and any other vehicle staff must wear surgical masks/appropriate PPE in all vehicles.
We carefully select our food service partners and work together closely to align health and safety protocols for facilities, food preparation and delivery. Food partners will be selected based on the following factors:
- Opportunity to reserve separate tables or private rooms
- Physical distancing in both indoor and outdoor venues between travel parties/households is not required unless mandated by local requirements.
G Adventures has developed enhanced health and safety protocols which all accommodation suppliers are expected to follow. Accommodations for Journeys and Family Journeys are chosen for their thorough cleaning practices and smaller property size, aimed at reducing contact between travellers and others outside the group.
Please note that when travellers share a room with someone from outside their travel party, both parties must be fully vaccinated as outlined in the Journeys Travel Ready policy. Alternatively, a “My Own Room” supplement is required.
Chief Experience Officers
All G Adventures Chief Experience Officers must:
- Complete mandatory COVID-19 training prior to starting a tour.
- Be equipped with PPE and have access to more.
- Show no symptoms of COVID-19.
- Be fully vaccinated (with Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Janssen/Johnson and Johnson, or AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD), OR produce a negative PCR test 3 days or less before the trip start date. If CEOs are vaccinated with one of the following vaccines: Novavax, Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV (VeroCell), Sinovac-CoronaVac, and Covavaxin (Bharat Biotech) they must also be required to show proof of a negative PCR test taken within 3 days of the first day of the tour in order to join the group.
- Complete a pre-tour G Adventures Self-Screening COVID-19 form which requires them to state they have no COVID-19 symptoms.
- Follow all mask and physical distancing guidelines, maintaining a minimum of 3 ft/1m except when dining indoors, where a 6ft/2m distance between travel parties must be observed.
- Provide local guidance on regulations and rules about COVID-19.
- Monitor that each traveller is adhering to prescribed daily self-screening protocols to identify symptoms and/or risk of COVID-19, including facilitating daily temperature checks, and report any symptoms to management immediately.
- Support any travellers who feel ill or need assistance finding local clinics.
- Decline taking photos with any traveller’s device, and instead will take photos with their own device and share images with the group digitally.
G Adventures offers a flexible Book with Confidence policy to cancel and rebook closer to your departure date.
G Adventures requires travel insurance for all travellers. When selecting a travel insurance policy, G Adventures requires that, at a minimum, travellers are covered for medical expenses including emergency evacuation and repatriation. A minimum coverage of USD $200,000 is required.
The guidelines listed here are a framework, and will be adjusted based on the region’s guidance and further information from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO). We will continue to meet all minimum local guidelines, and exceed wherever possible. Check back here regularly as these protocols are updated.